Monday, August 17, 2009

How to Use Snaffle Bits - Why use a western horse bit?

I use a western horse bit for the same reason I use my spurs. To attain a more direct and defined response from the pressure I apply to my horse. to use a snaffle bit is similar to spurs because they are both used as motivational tools to get a response from your horse to make a certain change to a particular gait or a certain direction. When you apply pressure to the bit it is then transferred down to your horse’s mouth. When your horse makes the desired change then you immediately release that pressure. I have a saying “The quicker the release the faster the response” also meaning the quicker you release the pressure the faster your horse will understand what you are asking him to do.

Before introducing a Snaffle bit or western bit to my horse, I first teach my horse how to give to pressure in a rope halter though a lot of ground training. I apply pressure to each side of my horse by teaching him to bend also known as (flexion) and also yielding the hindquarters on the ground which simulates my one rein stop when I get in the saddle.

When I think my horse is ready to start as a 2 yr old. I use a personal method, which has worked great for me I’ll put on a side pull with a snaffle on it on my horses let them where it around for a bit. I turn them out in it in a round pen or something. I do this several times usually for a couple of days until I think they are comfortable with it in their mouth. This also gets them used to wearing a bridle and bit without freaking out every time you approach them with it. They associate the bridle and bit with playtime being turned out instead of work or something that’s going to harm them.

Now that my horse is comfortable, I do all the ground training I did with the rope halter except this time I’m going to do it with the snaffle bit
(please do this with a smooth western snaffle). Moving to the snaffle changes the pressure the horse feels, instead of applying pressure to the horses nose you’re now applying it to the mouth on each side of the cheek & on the bars of the mouth and tongue.(Caution your hands should be very light with this process).

My goal is to give my horse the idea that I can communicate to him with the snaffle bit through light pressure. I take baby steps with my horse & reward him for every little try to build confidence in my horse and assure him that he is doing the right thing.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. Going to be starting a 2 year old this fall and glad to find your stuff! I also have a blog and will be putting video up of our progress. I'm very excited to read more of your posts and start my new horse! Thanks!

    Allison Muldoon
    www.fillytracks.com

    ReplyDelete